Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein

Default Metal Halide Arc bulbs for home? Crazy?

In article , Chris Lewis wrote:

I'd recommend the fluorescents for several reasons entirely aside from
potential UV emission.

- MH bulbs are _hot_. In a smallish area (a garage would qualify),
the directed heat will occasionally be uncomfortable.

- MH systems are expensive.

- Used as overall lighting in a relatively low-ceiling space, MHs
will have intense hard-to-miss super bright spots, which will have
you stumbling around with purple spots in your eyes.

- I'd rather not have MH bulbs in a workshop, where accidentally
hitting one will let stuff out that you don't want...

- MHs are somewhat more efficient than ordinary incandescents, but
not nearly as good as fluorescents, and as such, going with a lot
of MHs to get a lot of light is going to cost a fair bit to operate.

That last one is not true. Especially good fluorescents have only about
the same efficiency as 400 watt metal halides.

- Don Klipstein )