Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
George

Default OT-Death and Dying

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:10:47 -0800, Eric R Snow wrote:

And as if all that isn't enough,
the people responsible for managing his pain are doing a terrible job.
There is no excuse for depriving a dying person relief from pain. And
the fear of overuse and addiction by a patient who has less than two
months to live is ridiculous.

Fire them. Now. If you have medical power of attourney, you will ****
them off, but getting pain control is the absolute first priority. Been
there, done that. My grandfather's doctors were playing God instead
of helping a terminal patient be comfortable. "more tests", my ass.

He must have had good insurance.

Give the man a PCA pump, NOW. They refused; we removed them from his
care and got real doctors who understand pain control in a terminal
patient.

Sorry if this sounds angry but I'm still ****ed off about it, 17 years
later, and your post brought it out. I assure you that I mean to be
supportive rather than attacking you but as usual I'm more blunt than
diplomatic. Get him better doctors. Hospice care is fantastic.

And it appears that starting today the pain control is
finally being done correctly. Anyway, I just needed to blow off some
steam. I'm not looking for sympathy. Thanks for reading.

Inexcusable that "professionals" wouldn't know what they're dealing
with. Not surprising, just inexcusable. If they don't stay "smarter",
do for him what you'd want done for you; get him to a place where
they'll make the inevitable less painful.

Again, sorry for the tone, but this dredged up some stuff I thought I'd
forgotten.

Dave Hinz