Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

Default Metal Halide Arc bulbs for home? Crazy?

"Ignoramus4324" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:36:14 -0800, Jim McLaughlin jim.mclaughlin wrote:
"Ignoramus4324" wrote:

I wonder if I can use the following bulbs to light varios areas of my
home where I like to have a lot of light:

400 watt BT37 Mogul Base Coated Horizontal Burn +/- 15 degrees High
Output Position Oriented Metal Halide Sylvania Light Bulb
(Sylvania MS400/3K/HOR 64498)

Our Part #: SL64498
Manufacturer: Sylvania
Manufacturer Code: MS400/3K/HOR
Price: $93.99 Each
Case Size: 6 ($563.94/Case)
Specifications
Light Output: 33,500 lumens
Energy Used: 400 watts
Average Lifetime: 20,000 hours
Bulb Type: BT37
Base Type: Position Oriented Mogul
Color: 3,200K
CRI: 70
Length: 11.5 inches

MUCH SNIPPED

There have been a couple of incidents around here (Portland / Lake

Oswego,
OR) recently where Halide lights in school gymnasiums (ok gymnasia to

the
Latin /reek scholars) had cracked outer coatings. The lights emitted
a_LOT_ of bad UV stuff; several students and teachers apparently

suffered
serious and permanent eye damage. The exposure was over a several month
period, AIUI, and there was no obvious indicator that the bulb outer
coatings were cracked.

Me, I'd stay away from them in the home / garage / workshop setting.

And I say that living in an area where from about now to mid April where

our
"daylight" is usually a cold wet grey cloudy dim mess. I like

"bright",
but won't take unnecessary risks.

Thanks. You raised a great issue and I would not want to take any eye
damage risk. Would it make any sense to enclose them into some
appropriate (rated for heat input) glass diffusers of any sort? Glass
is a UV filter, right?

I have no idea what, if anything, filters (or absorbs?) UV output from the
halide lights. More you filter it though, seems to me the more you cut down
the lumens / sq. ft. on your work surfaces. If you filter the Halide output
enough, you might as well be using regular fluorescents. The captal cost
on the fluorescents has got to be lower than the halides plus additional
filters. And the fluorescents adhere to th KISS principle.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

It looks as though going with more regular fluorescents may be more
sensible though.