Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

Default Metal Halide Arc bulbs for home? Crazy?

"Ignoramus4324" wrote:

I wonder if I can use the following bulbs to light varios areas of my
home where I like to have a lot of light:

400 watt BT37 Mogul Base Coated Horizontal Burn +/- 15 degrees High
Output Position Oriented Metal Halide Sylvania Light Bulb
(Sylvania MS400/3K/HOR 64498)

Our Part #: SL64498
Manufacturer: Sylvania
Manufacturer Code: MS400/3K/HOR
Price: $93.99 Each
Case Size: 6 ($563.94/Case)
Specifications
Light Output: 33,500 lumens
Energy Used: 400 watts
Average Lifetime: 20,000 hours
Bulb Type: BT37
Base Type: Position Oriented Mogul
Color: 3,200K
CRI: 70
Length: 11.5 inches

MUCH SNIPPED

There have been a couple of incidents around here (Portland / Lake Oswego,
OR) recently where Halide lights in school gymnasiums (ok gymnasia to the
Latin /reek scholars) had cracked outer coatings. The lights emitted
a_LOT_ of bad UV stuff; several students and teachers apparently suffered
serious and permanent eye damage. The exposure was over a several month
period, AIUI, and there was no obvious indicator that the bulb outer
coatings were cracked.

Me, I'd stay away from them in the home / garage / workshop setting.

And I say that living in an area where from about now to mid April where our
"daylight" is usually a cold wet grey cloudy dim mess. I like "bright",
but won't take unnecessary risks.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.