Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

Default Black & Decker

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:10:46 -0800, Bilbo Baggins
wrote:

I am sorry that I did not list all of the data.

1. I called my local supplier and requested a price for a replacement
gasket for my compressor. The supplier said that the part was not in
his stock and he would have to check with the manufacturer for the
information.

2. The following day my supplier called me to let me know the price
and that it would probably be a few weeks. I told him that would not
be a problem since I was going on vacation.

3. After my vacation (about 4 weeks after first call) I called my
supplier again to find out what was up with my part. I was told that
they had not heard anything yet, but would call and get right back to
me with an answer. About 30 min later they called and told me that the
part would not be available for 2 to 4 more weeks. At that time I was
also told that this was not unusual since B&D had purchased DeVilbiss.

Now I'm confused. The servicenet site lists parts in three ways. In
Stock (available immediately, about 95% of all parts), back ordered,
or no longer available. If back ordered there is either a specific
fulfillment date or no date available (usually because the service
buyer/planner has not input it yet). Wonder where your local supplier
is getting all this nebulous and variable delivery information.

Possibly you should go on servicenet, look up the part number and see
for yourself.

I am quite aware that B&D tools are manufactured for the casual user
that is why I shy away from B&D branded tools, 60 years ago the name
B&D meant quality, now it means cheap. Only time will tell as to
whether B&D will maintain the quality that has always been associated
with the names of Delta and DeVilbiss or they will fall prey to the
almighty profit margin.