Dave Liquorice

Default Aurora {Was: Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall}

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:57:43 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

I thought that you were above the clouds ...

Pretty well where this morning hill fog hanging down in the valley but
extending a just above us.

... and had to have oxygen brought in... :-)

We are only at 1400' not 14,000.

Do you not see the lights of Newcastle or Carlisle in the distance?

Not directly. B-) Depending on conditions there can be quite a glow
to the East from Newcastle, 40 miles away, 20 to 30 degrees wide but
keeping fairly low to the horizon. Not normally aware of Carlisle (20
miles) but did see that glow the other night.

Given a good clear night and no moon the viewing is pretty good, Milky
Way is just there you don't have to look for it. One day I may well
get a small telescope, now if the kids get interested I have hook to
hang the purchase on... Trouble is at 1400', under clear dark skies,
it gets pretty nippy. Summer is not a good time, it never gets really
dark.

Is aurora visibility frequent where you are?

Been here since Jan 99, seen 3 maybe 4 displays. Cloud is the big
killer, I keep an eye on the various Aurora sites and know when the
activity is high enough that I should be able to see something if the
piggin cloud wasn't there. Probably missed an equal number of clouded
out displays. B-(

I've seen them in Norway and Sweden quite often, but never in the
UK.

Going to a place to observe the Aurora under dark skies is on the list
of "things I must do" along with "visit an erupting volcano", "storm
chasing in the Mid West US" etc

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail