Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Not really OT -- Sharpening a knife blade while not at home

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:49:38 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Norm
Dresner" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Out of curiosity, what was your reason for intentionally cutting
through calloused skin into healthy tissue with your knife, Norm?
(I've accidentally done that removing callouses, but never on
purpose.)

I had an infected "hangnail" that was spreading to the adjacent fingertip
and the only way to treat it is to drain the infected area. It's exactly
what a surgeon did in an ER for me at home a few years ago.

Good reason. Ouch! Whuffo you let it get infected, huh, huh, huh?
gd&r

Your sharpening method was fine, BTW. Whatever works, BUT, you might
want to include a 1200 grit diamond plate on your next trip. Diamond
removes metal quickly (for chip removal) and sharpens VERY fast.

Actually, I just realized that there's probably a diamond "emery" board in
my wife's cosmetic bag!

While it might work once, you'll have to buy her another one when
you're done. But if it's anything like the one Mom gave to me, it
won't be allowed on the airplane. It had a point and was 6" of metal.
My sharp 9" pencil sailed right through. Go figure...

I'm not going to change what I carry because of a very unusual occurrence.
If we all did that, the plane would never get off the ground.

That's what the PTB want: total control of the population.
(Powers That Be)

---
- Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -
http://diversify.com Web Applications