Posted to uk.d-i-y
bland

Default Earth on metal light switches?

"Milleniumaire" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a modern house that was built 7 years ago and we had a loft
extension built a couple of years ago. We are in the process of
re-decorating the loft and decided that chrome plated flat sockets and
light switches would complement the modern look we were trying to
achieve.

The fittings were ordered and received but I noticed that the light
switches have earth connectors and a label saying "This metal plate
must be earthed using the terminal marked earth".

On closer examination of my light switches, they don't appear to have
earth cables, just a live and switched live wire!

I didn't think you could buy house wiring cable without an earth wire 7
years ago. Before WWII possibly.
If its grey coloured T&E the bare earth wire may be just cut back and not
easily visible.

bland