Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Default Uhhh, horrible flourescent lighting

Larry Blanchard said:

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:16:52 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

You might want to think about the screw-ins. You are free to do as you
please, of course, but they are not rated for enclosed operation. The
cheap-ass resistor ballasts get mighty warm in an enclosed space, and
their light output it not optimal for this application. That twisted,
contorted bulb is not very aquarium friendly.

Ah-Ha! You haven't seen the ones All-Glass sells. They're 10 watt,
6500K, and two U-shaped tubes like some of the compact fluorescents. I've
got two of them on my 10 gallon jungle. They put out a lot less heat than
the incandescents they replaced.

Actually, no, I haven't seen them. I don't shop at Wal-Mart if I can
help it. But I will look for them in the future. Glad to know the
market is finally adapting. Thanks for the heads up.
I though you were talking about the common replacement bulbs.

The All-Glass incandescent hood had no vents for some strange reason, even
though their 5.5 gallon hood did. So I drilled a few holes in the top for
ventilation.

Always a good thing. Operating temperature has an effect on tube
longevity. So much so that apertured reflectors are used in some
commercial fixtures - for those who can afford them. !?

BTW, the All-Glass bulbs go for around $7.95. The same bulb is available
in the fish department of Walmart for, IIRC, $4.95.

Last time I was in a Wal-Mart Super Center around here, they had about
1 side of a small 15 foot aisle dedicated to fish stuff - not much to
speak of. Don't tell me, you on the West Coast. sigh

Greg G.