Posted to alt.home.repair
ChrisGW

Default Parallel switches

Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.aldes-us.com/Wiring%20Dia...wtchLeg....PDF

Adam wrote:
I need to install parallel switches to a couple of lights. And so you
don't think I mean a common 3-way switch, I want this behavior:

Both on: lights on
A on: lights on
B on: lights on
Both off: lights off

This is just (A OR B) logic.

This application is actually for a horse stall, where one switch is a
timer and the other is for manual use (there is actually a third switch
in series with the timer, to allow turning off the timer as well).

I'll try to explain my current setup (I've already tried this circuit).
I'll ignore grounds, but they are connected at each location properly.

1. I have 12/2 coming from the breaker box
2. The hot wire split and is connected to both switches
3. Each switch comes out as separate hot wires (I used red on the main
and black on the timer switch)
4. The neutral, red, black and ground wires are run to an outlet near
the lights
5. The neutral and black wires are fed to the outlet
6. The neutral and red are run to the first light box
7. The timer is installed and plugged into the outlet
8. 12/2 is terminated with a standard plug/ground and plugged into the
timer
9. The black from this (the timer) is connected to the red from the
first switch and then to the first light, and then a black wire runs to
the second light
10. The neutral from the timer and the breaker are connected and then
are connected to the first light, plus it is run to the second light
11. The second light is connected to the hot and neutral

I might try some ascii art and reply to this, but for now, that will
have to do.

So my main switch seems to work. However, if my timer and lights are
plugged in (timer switch still off), my main switch trips the GFCI
outlet, but the lights still come on. Of course, this means the timer
is no longer running, and turning off the main switch causes the lights
to go out.

I have a feeling this would have worked with a DC circuit, hopefully
somebody can help!

Adam