Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Not really OT -- Sharpening a knife blade while not at home

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:21:48 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Norm
Dresner" quickly quoth:

Fortunately the blade was reasonably sharp before we left on the trip and I
had no expectation of ever needing to do that sort of thing by myself or I
would have at least packed a single-edge razor blade or two into the checked
luggage.

Out of curiosity, what was your reason for intentionally cutting
through calloused skin into healthy tissue with your knife, Norm?
(I've accidentally done that removing callouses, but never on
purpose.)

Your sharpening method was fine, BTW. Whatever works, BUT, you might
want to include a 1200 grit diamond plate on your next trip. Diamond
removes metal quickly (for chip removal) and sharpens VERY fast.

I own both DMT and EzeLap plates, preferring the pricier DMTs.
A Grizzly diamond cone comes in handy for edge tools.
www.dmtsharp.com www.ezelap.com

DMT sells some handy pocket-sized hones. Minsharp and Diafold.
http://www.allprotools.com/store/dmt_index.htm

I have 2 600 grit 2x6" diamond plates for home and shop use, with
which I start any knife or cutter edge. 600 will do in a pinch on the
road and for most non-surgical uses. It's perfect for kitchen knives.

Alternatively, carry a pack of Scary Sharp(tm) paper with you and use
any flat surface under it.
http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM#original

-
In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare
------
http://diversify.com Website Application & Database Development