View Single Post
  #11   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dill
If any of you out there have any older Delta equipment, be advised that
Delta ( B&D) is dropping a lot of parts/support for older tools. B&D
sunset policy is 6 years for parts support. Better order what you need
now, if it isn't already too late... John

Not for those in California. If you have something that plugs into the wall, California REQUIRES the manf to have parts on hand to exact any warranty repair for 3-years after the item is sold, regardless of the term of the written warranty. And, manfs are required to have all parts available for 7-years after the product is sold. It’s not Delta’s choice to make…in California.

Calif has some wicked-cool consumer protection laws. Manfs are required to maintain warranty repair facilities in the vicinity of where the product is sold, a toll-free 800 number must be provided with the item, if something needs warranty repair, the warranty is frozen in place until the product is repaired (as of Jan ’05 consumers must be notified in writing of this) and after repair the warranty resumes where it left off.

Any manf that thinks they will dump repair issues on the consumer needs to think again. Calif law makes all retailers of electrical/electronic products a warranty drop-of station, and makes the retailer liable for the warranty repairs. There are laws that allow retailers to collect damages from the manf, but it is all transparent to the consumer. Basically, if Delta won’t step up to the plate, any local Delta retailer can be hauled into small claims court, then the retailer can withhold payment on goods they receive from Delta.

Should my Delta Unisaw ever require warranty repair, Delta is REQUIRED to come to my home and do the repair, or pick the saw, fix it and return it at no charge to me. Anything that uses electricity, weights more than 70-lbs, is awkward to carry, or is ‘installed’ is required to be repaired in at the home or pick up and deliver is to be arranged and paid for by the manf. AT 300+ lbs, it’s definitely Delta’s problem…or at least a local Delta retailer’s problem.

Oh, and if Delta doesn’t complete the repairs within 30-days, they are required to buy back the product.