Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Default Bandsaw question...

mj wrote:

Pete,
I just bought the $170 bandsaw from Harbor Freight. I was on their site
yesterday and now it is priced at $209.
Anyway...I finally got mine set up. It comes with a cheapy 1/3 HP
motor. I cut a brass shaft that was about 1-1/2" in diameter and then I
started on a 3" chunk a few hours later. It ran for about five minutes
and the motor promptly quit, although it did not lock up. I let it cool
off (it was starting to get real warm to the touch), but it was too
late. (Don't look Ethel! LOL). I went to the hardware store and bought
a decent 1/2 HP motor for $80 and I am in the process in installing
that one.
Piece of sh!t motor. The rest seems to be OK. I still feel that I did
OK in buying this. I got it for $169, $8.95 shipping and the $80 motor.
The next cheapest bandsaws were around $200 and shipping was
approximately $70-$90 and I am sure those motors weren't probably much
better.
Mike

It's in their current flyer (good until Dec 19th) and there is a note
that it has a 1HP motor as well (lot 37151). I note that Enco typically
lists this saw in three versions, the base with the el-cheapo motor, a
version with a UL listed motor for about $20 more and a version with a
USA motor for about $80 more than the base.

At any rate, with the additional 20% coupon (good until Tuesday) and no
shipping cost with pickup in the local store, it seems that even if I
replace the motor it's still so much cheaper than any other option that
it's sure to pay for itself.

Pete C.