Brian S Gray

Default DECT phones (Was: Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall)

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:46:40 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

In message ,
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote:

"Zymurgy" wrote in message
om...
How ?!

Chasing the wall out is the easy bit (SDS gouge !) but do I put into
thin conduit (there's about 6 wired to get in) and plaster over, how
do I keep in place whilst I plaster ?

Any help appeeciated.

Thanks

Paul.

Jumping it at the top of the thread again :-)
On the subject of 'wired' vs. 'wireless'.

Nobody so far seems to have mentioned DECT phones.
I would be interested in the case that 'plug in the wall' phones are 'always
better' that DECT phones.

To me the argument is very similar - do you want to run phone extensions to
every room then have to stand by the socket, or would you like to take your
phone everywhere with you (including in the garden and perhaps even next
door).

Not quite the same because extra handsets cut into the maximum REN on the
line, but for useability the comparison is pretty close.

Well, just my 2p, but yes, running a cable is time consuming, especially
if like me you put a socket in every room except the bathroom :-)
and of course you can't take a wired phone up the garden, but...

1: REN is much less of an issue these days because most phones
seem to be less than 1 REN even though they may be marked 1 REN. I have
had five ordinary phones, one minicom and one computer modem attached
together, and never had any ringing problems. Might be helped by the
fact that I use master sockets throughout rather than extensions?

2: There is just no comparison in the quality of the signal. I have all
wired phones in my house, some of them cheapy-cheapy jobs, but the sound
quality on them is vastly better than from any of the DECT phones my
friends own - expensive or not so. In ideal conditions it doesn't make
much difference, but when there's a noisy 2-year-old in the background
it can make all the difference.

2a: (related) DECT phones aren't much good for hearing-aid users (they
have similar problems with some mobile phones). The earpieces aren't
designed to make use of the aid's microphone(s) and when the aid is
switched to "T" (the induction loop setting which works fine with 99% of
cheap phones) the aid can suffer dreadfully from RF pickup ("bzzzzt
bzzzzt bzzzzt" noises).

3: Don't (some?) DECT phones work on the same frequencies as... erm...
wireless networks? Wireless security systems? Wireless remote control
systems? Wireless video senders? In the fully-wireless house, isn't
there great scope for interference which, even if it doesn't result in
lost data, may result in poor performance (slow, short distance)?

4: Isn't there a limited number of discrete channels available to a DECT
phone (16?) What happens if everyone in your cul-de-sac has DECT phones?
Oh, I forgot, they only work reliably up to about 50m ;-)

5: If I carried a phone around in my pocket/on my belt all the time I'd
sit on it, or drop it or otherwise mutilate it, and it'd never get
charged, so it'd have to live on the cradle anyway which makes it hardly
any more convenient than a wired phone!

6: The clincher for me three years ago when I wired the house (less of
an issue now) was the difference between the cost of 2 or 3 DECT
handsets (1 each and a spare) and 5 ordinary telephones plus associated
cabling. The hidden cost, of course, was the weekend it took to complete
the wiring.

6a: (related) it's only tiny, but DECT phones are yet another
wall-wart-waste-of-heat - and therefore electricity.

Hwyl!

M.

Sorry, I cannot agree with all above although I suspect that hard
wired phones are more reliable.
Dect phones can easily be used for in-house calls while the
loudspeaker facility helps the hard of hearing - at the cost of
everyone nearby hearing both sides of the conversation.
Also, it is easy for the DECT phones to communicate with a matching
base station which is an answerphone BUT in my experience they stop
making/selling matching answerphones/DECT phones after a relatively
short period (3/4 years for Philips?).
And I certainly find a DECT phone useful when someone rings me
when I am up in the loft or up a ladder outside.