Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Hybrid Cars

"John Rumm" wrote in message

So am I right in thinking that (roughly speaking) for continuous running

conventional system is more efficient, whereas doing a lot of shuffling
along in heavy traffic a hybrid can be better? Has anyone done the

figures

Quite probably. The prius gains some efficency from running the IC
engine in a non standard cycle that would usually be too lumpy to drive
with a conventional drive train, but then it also has to move all the
electric baggage about as well.

And less a gearbox as it does have a heavy transmission (gearbox). That is
why they get over 60mpg

So in stop start conditions where it can accumulate surplus energy in
the electrics, it gets to spread out the demands on the IC engine, and
can (short term) produce more power than is available from the engine
alone. So good in city situations.

During sustained performance oriented driving however it will get hit
with the multiple whammy ofnot being able to sustain significant output
from the electric motor, carrying the baggage, and being forced to
divert a significant proportion of IC engines output to maintaining
battery charge (which must never be allowed to fall too low since the
enitre operation of the car depends on having electric motor power to
blend with the IC engine output since this is how the planatary gear
setup achieves the CVT).

Nonsense as usual. It can do 100mph, and cruise along with the rest of them
at high speed. No CVT, no gearbox

(for current production technology conventional and hybrids) to work out
which would be better averaged out over national traffic patterns? In

other
words, if you were to replace the entire national car fleet overnight

with
equivalent hybrids would net fuel consumption increase or decrease?

It is a good question. I would expect the answer is "increase" since in
the real world you don't get something for nothing.

More absolute nonsense! This new groups breeds them. The "average" is
around 60mpg in the "real world", about "twice" what an equivalent sized car
would be getting. How real do you want this world to be? Why don't you ask
me and I will tell you. I have a Prius. You haven't a clue have you?