Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.railroad,rec.woodworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Not really OT -- Sharpening a knife blade while not at home

I have a sandstone (figured naturally) water catcher to put my cups on - shop and house.
I sharpen and clean the bottoms of the cups that way for the medium work and then to the
ceramic rods. Those are only in the shop.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:07:44 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

Recently while I was traveling in a foreign country (Italy if it matters), I
had occasion to need to make the 1-1/2" knife blade on my pocket knife as
sharp as possible -- ideally "scalpel sharp". It's night-time (about 10 pm
local time) in an urban area and we're heading back to our lodging. There
are no nearby open stores. [Note: there was an open pharmacy but it's just
that -- they don't carry razor blades there].

I finally decided to use a stone, brick, concrete, or similar surface as a
sharpening stone -- and I didn't have any facility for either flattening
whatever I choose or even measuring flatness except by eye or feel. I
finally found a small area on the corner of a stone building that felt
smooth and flat enough and I used some available moisture to perform a
honing operation until the blade felt smooth and sharp enough -- measured
totally qualitatively by running it across the surface of my thumb-nail.

We went back to the lodging, boiled water which we used to "sterilize" the
blade and performed our makeshift surgery fairly successfully -- the blade
was, in fact, sharp enough that there was no pain when used to create a 1/2"
long, ~1/8" deep incision into a section of calloused skin and the
underlying healthy tissue.

Enough of the medical saga and onto the real question: Are there any
suggestions for sharpening a blade under these conditions that would have
been either easier or better than what I did?

TIA
Norm

The unglazed bottom ring of a porceline coffee cup is one of my old
standbys

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner