Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony

Default Garage door opener question

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been following this thread, wondering like everyone else on what
is really causing your problem. While I will agree w/ you that the
professional openers are built better/stronger as in more durable then
some DYI openers I would have to agree that a new opener is not going
to solve the problem.

Issues that I can see:

You've had a number of professionals out that can't figure out the
problem but you are going to have one of them put in a new opener so it
will now be their problem. If they can't figure out the problem now,
how are they going to figure it out after you have bought & paid for a
new opener? (I don't believe a new opener will solve your problem no
matter what one you buy as many others have stated.) Also most
installers only give a one year guarantee on labor so after one year it
will once again be your problem, will it not?

To be more precise I am looking at a *different* pro that I just found on
the Chamberlain site. I never new about this installer.

You said everyone comments on how heavy the door is, but then you say
it works smooth & stays open at 4-5 feet. To me this sounds like a
contradiction. If the door is balanced properly it should not be heavy
off of the floor & the door should pretty much stay at any point you
let go of the door (slight drifting is normal) including 2 feet off of
the floor. If it drops like a rock from 2 feet the door isn't balanced
properly. If the door isn't heavy off of the floor why does everyone
comment on how heavy the door is?

I have never seen the 2' test. Yes, it drops like a rock and is barely able
to be opened wiht 1 hand.

You stated that the existing door already has the largest spring
available for residential doors. Where did this statement come from
because it makes no sense at all to me?

This came from the installer who replaced the broken springs.

The size of the spring is
determined by the size of the drums, the weight of the door, the height
of the door, & how much room is available on the shaft. So whether the
door is a residential door or a commercial door makes no difference &
the goal is not to have the largest springs but to have ones that are
properly balanced for the weight.

I am totally guessing & going out on a limb, but I would guess that
your door feels like a ton of bricks as it comes off of the floor & it
is this excessive weight that has been causing your problems & will
continue to do so until the door is balanced properly.

Yup. Having the new pro come out. I described the problme at 2' and he
believe it needs new, larger springs. I am also putting my old Chamberlain
screw drive back up for him to test it out. Taking the Idrive off. If this
still doesn't work I am going with the new contractor grade opener.

Doordoc