Posted to alt.home.repair
nospambob

Default Differences between paint thinner and mineral spirits...

Years ago I bought paint and thinner from an employee of a paint
maker. Have never used anything as effective as the thinner they
provided. Ask at a paint store for suggestions.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 10:42:09 GMT, "Ken Moiarty"
wrote:

I realize it is commonly assumed that paint thinner and mineral spirits
are exactly the same thing; probably due to the fact of their
interchangeability as paint diluants. (But then turpentine is also so
interchangeable with paint thinner, yet is obviously not exactly the same
thing).
I just picked up some mineral spirits to compare with some paint thinner
of the same brand which I have been using. {Was crossing my fingers for an
improvement in a problem I've been having with tiny air bubbles forming upon
application of Varathane paint, after using mineral spirits to prime my
paint brush with instead of paint thinner. T'was not to be, however. Next
time I'll try turpentine and see if that won't deliver any advantage
either.} Aside from the mineral spirits having a smell only-so-slightly
different in character from the paint thinner, I also noticed that the
mineral spirits worked surprisingly better than the paint thinner for the
paint clean-up (i.e. oil-based Varathane). Mineral spirits seems to be a
stronger solvent than paint thinner (or at least as far as comparing the two
respective products of this particular brand is concerned).

Ken