Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Victorian Terraced houses

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.
Why is this? anyone got the answer.

Interesting subject. My parent's house (not victorian) and others
nearby are
similar, but very slightly different. E.g. the division between master
bed / "box" room
varies affecting the sizing of the rooms (not a later alteration)
Apparently some builders liked to express their individuality.
The house my parents live in is bigger than all the others nearby.
Apparently it was the house that the builder lived in !
Also an local district has big victorian houses on all the corners, and
terraced up
the street. The factory bosses lived on the corners, the workers in
terraces !
Simon.