Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default Victorian Terraced houses

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I'm a little bored today so had nothing better to do than gaze through the
windows. :-(

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.

Why is this? anyone got the answer.

The fancy houses cost more, yours had the block replaced later, the fancy
arcitecture manufacturer put their prices up or went out of business, the
fellow who did the carving retired or died, fashions changed, no-one noticed
the fancy bit so the builder cut the expense, the fancy bit was on the
builder's own house, the fancy bit was on the house opposite the builder's own
house so that he could see it, putting the fancy bits it broke the sandstone,
Part Q of the regulations demanded that the block be a plain flat device ...