Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

Default Victorian Terraced houses

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm a little bored today so had nothing better to do than gaze through the
windows. :-(

I was looking at the houses opposite me and noticed just below the
guttering the brickwork is set with a fancy architecture and on my side of
the street its just a flat sandstone block in the same area below the
guttering.

Why is this? anyone got the answer.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

It may be what was available at the time.

On out street, one side was built pre-war, the other post-war, both to the
same floor plans. However, there are differences.

The pre-war houses have a row of soldiers over the windows and the post-war
ones have concrete lintels. The bricks in the pre-war houses are harder and
smoother and have stood the test of time much better (they are also much
harder to drill/cut!). The same applies to the roofing tiles, none of the
pre-war houses have had to be re-tiled so far, but almost all the post-war
roofing tiles have been replaced and those that have'nt need to be. The
quality of the timber in the pre-war houses is also far superior to the
timber used in the post-war houses.