Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default OT (maybe): farewell DVD

What I had in mind was new disc sales. I know people aren't going to toss
their old DVD's. I certainly will not do that, just as I still have
hundreds of OLD video tapes (including Beta).
But... I'd rather pay $15 for a new HD disc title than $15 (or $10 or $5)
for the same title on a standard DVD. If I plunk down big money on a new
HDTV screen, I'd prefer to watch media that takes full advantage of that
screen.
Add to that the ability to store far more data per disc for pc uses. I
imagine Blu-ray blanks will soon become as inexpensive as today's DVD
blanks. More bang for the buck.
I don't see a great many more years of standard DVD pressings.

Perhaps not, but by then we'll be able to get a next gen player for $50
so it doesn't really matter. Buy the new stuff on HD discs, keep your
old stuff around on plain old DVDs, doesn't really seem like a big deal.