Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Help settle an argument...........

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
On 24 Nov 2005 09:20:51 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:
In article , RAM^3 says...

FWIW, my 55-year-old house came with this type of socket and I've

"modified"
quite a few "polarized" plugs myself. G

By the time they're 55 years old, recptacles are pretty clapped
out - I would respectfully suggest you simply replace with new
ones every time you have that problem with modern plugs.

But if the house has ungrounded NM cable in the walls, you NEVER
replace the 2-prong ones with new 3-prong grounding receptacles with
the ground pin not hooked up to anything. It might make the house
"look more modern" but that is a really good way to kill someone with
a false ground.

Good point, Bruce. Thanks for the tip, even though I'm not likely to
encounter the problem.

Harold