Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Need to learn about toilet flush technologies

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:31:51 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

pe wrote:
Hi all: Can anyone refer me to web site(s) where I can read about
currently available flush technologies? I'm replacing the toilets in
my home and want to learn about the alternatives, with particular
interest in units offering power-assisted flushing. Thanks for your
replies! PE

I would suggest it is not just the flush technology.

Two of the most important parts of the equation is the trap size (larger
is better) and fully glazing the trap. You are not likely to have problems
with any toilet that has a large fully glazed trap. (Note: the trap is the
exit and in most toilets the inside has a finish like very rough sandpaper.
Fully glazed means it is as smooth as the parts you see.)

Power assist adds to efficiency, but it does not seem to be as important
these days as the designers have found other, passive, solutions that are
quieter, less complex and have fewer maintenance problems.

I've stayed in motels that have power assisted flush, and it was
louder than I would want all the time. In addition, I figure there's
an air compressor which in a motel was far away, but in one's home
would be within earshot. Is that true.

I would also add that quality and good construction are not really
expensive. What is far more expensive is design. If you want a fancy
looking sculpted tank,

My brother has a lot more money than I and finally, at the age of 60
bought an expensive house, with fancy French toilets.

If I am not in perfect health, including my digestive system, so that
my bowel movements are dry as a camel's, the toilet has to be cleaned
after each use. The part at the bottom that is covered with water, is
only a little patch, as big as the top of a teacup. and I just can't
aim that well. (Actually I can't aim at all.)

I don't know if they came with the house or during a bit of
remodelling they did.

I haven't had nerve enough to discuss this with my brother,
sister-in-law, or their maid if they are unsatisfied. (I"ll bet the
maid is.)

it is going to cost a ton and my be mechanically
identical to the cheapest one in the line.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.