Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default Bandsaw question...

Pete C. wrote:
I've been lusting after a nice H/V bandsaw like the Jet version that
goes for around $900 which is unfortunately more than my budget. I was
reminded of my need for a bandsaw last night while cutting a few pieces
of 3/8" AL plate with a hacksaw.

It seems that Harbor Freight has the el-cheapo bandsaw that is normally
about $200 on sale for $170 and they've sent me yet another 20% off
coupon which would make it about $136. Of course I'd still have to buy a
good name brand blade and some new bearings to get it into shape. The
question is - At $136 + tax and tune up parts, is this bandsaw too
useful to pass up?

If this is the same crappy Chinese 4x6" H/V bandsaw that everybody has
been selling for the last 15 years, you really need it! I hate the
usualy Chinese crap, but even with my best efforts at abusing the
thing, it has done wonderful service in my shop. On mine, the only
recurring problem is the lower wheel slowly walks off the shaft, and
has to be reset periodically. I finally retapped the hole and put
double setscrews in it, and it hasn't slipped in quite a while.

I bought 100' rolls of cheap carbon steel blades and brazed them for
a while until I got lucky on eBay with a bandsaw welder. I've used
up about half of two different pitch blades on the thing, cutting
everything from fiberglass PCB material to tool steel. The only
reason not to get this one is to hold out for the next size up! I cut
some sheet materials on it, and it is a pain due to the narrow throat.
But, the alternatives (hacksaw, jigsaw, circular saw, axe, whatever) are
so much more of a pain! I can't believe I was able to make anything in
the shop before I got that saw!

Jon