Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Garage door opener question

Mike Dobony wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
m...
Mike Dobony wrote:
..

My father had a full wood double door and had either a 1/4 or 1/3
hp opener built around the 60's and it never failed other than
needing a new belt-drive (from motor to gear box) and a few new
remotes. That was an EXTREMELY heavy door. When I was 5 I could
open it manually. The spring is supposed to do all the work and
negates the weight of the door. That is what it is designed to
do. A 1/4 hp opener SHOULD be able to open any properly setup
door.

Maybe not. Remember inertia from your high-school physics
class? The tendency of a body to resist acceleration; the tendency
of a body at rest to remain at rest or of a body in motion to stay
in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force.

Yet isn't the spring's function to neutralize this force? The spring
overcomes this to negate the user or mechanical opener from having to
deal with the full weight and inerta of the door.

Well it means it does not have to deal with the full weight of the door,
but the inertia is still a possible problem. From your description of the
door, I doubt if it is any heavier than the norm and well within the
expected weight for a consumer door opener.

Overall I still tend to believe that something has been missed.
I have had 4 consumer garage doors over the last 30 years (two at a
time) and I have yet to have any of them fail. BTW for the last 15
years they have been on insulated aluminum doors.

Go ahead and put in a more expensive opener, but I suspect you
will either accidentally correct the problem, or you are going to
find the same thing happening.

But this time if there is still a problem I will not be dealing with
the problem. A call to the installer will have HIM dealing with it.
For this reason I am temtped to go to the Allstar due to the 20 year
waranty on the entire drive train, not just motor and conveyor chain.

That does not sound like a bad idea. Just make sure you read the
warranty well before you buy. :-)

At least then, you have have someone who is going to be responsible for
finding and fixing the problem without being able to walk away without
fixing it.

Maybe we have forgotten on thing. Cycling! How often are
theses doors used every day. The real difference with commercial
doors is that they are designed for many more lifetime cycles and
heavier doors.

Used 6-8 times a day. 2 cars each being used twice a day except on
very rare occasions when it might be use an additional time or 2.

That also sounds within reason.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

--
Joseph Meehan