Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Garage door opener question

Mike Dobony wrote:

My father had a full wood double door and had either a 1/4 or 1/3 hp
opener built around the 60's and it never failed other than needing a
new belt-drive (from motor to gear box) and a few new remotes. That
was an EXTREMELY heavy door. When I was 5 I could open it manually.
The spring is supposed to do all the work and negates the weight of
the door. That is what it is designed to do. A 1/4 hp opener SHOULD
be able to open any properly setup door.

Maybe not. Remember inertia from your high-school physics class? The
tendency of a body to resist acceleration; the tendency of a body at rest to
remain at rest or of a body in motion to stay in motion in a straight line
unless acted on by an outside force.

Overall I still tend to believe that something has been missed. I have
had 4 consumer garage doors over the last 30 years (two at a time) and I
have yet to have any of them fail. BTW for the last 15 years they have been
on insulated aluminum doors.

Go ahead and put in a more expensive opener, but I suspect you will
either accidentally correct the problem, or you are going to find the same
thing happening.

Maybe we have forgotten on thing. Cycling! How often are theses doors
used every day. The real difference with commercial doors is that they are
designed for many more lifetime cycles and heavier doors.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit