Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

Default Help settle an argument...........

In article ,
(~Roy) wrote:

It has to do with rotation of a motor....
Motor is a simple aquarium pump, submerged type, powered by AC current
of 115 VAC........2 wire power cord. Armature is the typical magnetic
type. Seems folks are dreaming that they can reverse rotation by
reversing the plug in the recepticle.......SOme have even gone to the
extremes of filing down the wide blade on the polarized plugs so they
can put plug in either way and think they are reversing
direction......Is it possible to change rotation of a AC motor like
this or not?

In the *HUGE* majority of cases, there's a one-word answer. That word is
"No".

Although it *CAN* be done in other ways, reversing an AC motor *USUALLY*
means some relatively major surgery on the guts of the motor - Just
flipping the plug over simply isn't going to do it.

If not, how about an explanatin why,

Far too involved to try to answer in a newsgroup posting, particularly
since we have no idea what level of knowledge you have about the basics
behind how motors work. Suggest you try google - "Reversing AC motors"
seems like a good starting place

--
Don Bruder -
- If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,