Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Council tax and new ways..........

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:47:42 +0000, Mark
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:05:40 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:46:29 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell
wrote:

Whereas I would like to see diversity with the LEA taking over the management
and letting schools get on with teaching - with the government limited to
providing the money - just as it was before the Thatcher government made a
mess of it all...

Well..... from experience of the independent sector, it is possible
to run a school quite satisfactorily with a secretary and a part time
bursar.

There is no need to waste money on paying people in LEAs to be
involved in adding extra layers of management and bureaucracy.

We find that the LEA can provide extremely useful help and support.

I guess that there is always an exception.

However, personally I would rather make my own arrangements for help
and support and if need be pay for them explicitly when needed. In
that respect, I see that as part of the school's responsibility in
their delivery of education. They are, after all, much closer to the
situation. The extra tiers of management and administration don't
exist in the independent sector, so I have a hard job seeing why they
are apparently needed in the public sector.

--

..andy