Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM^3

Default Help settle an argument...........

"~Roy" wrote in message
It has to do with rotation of a motor....
Motor is a simple aquarium pump, submerged type, powered by AC current
of 115 VAC........2 wire power cord. Armature is the typical magnetic
type. Seems folks are dreaming that they can reverse rotation by
reversing the plug in the recepticle.......SOme have even gone to the
extremes of filing down the wide blade on the polarized plugs so they
can put plug in either way and think they are reversing
direction......Is it possible to change rotation of a AC motor like
this or not? If not, how about an explanatin why, and if it is doable,
an explanation as to how would also be appreciated........No other
mods to motor, just simply reversing plug orientation to reverse motor
rotation.....Not any need to get into the fact that the pump probbaly
would not work or work properly with a wrong rotation due to volute
design etc........

A vastly more credible reason for eliminating the "lugs" on the plug is
older 2-prong AC outlets: these don't have the oversized "slot" for the
newer "polarized" plugs.

FWIW, my 55-year-old house came with this type of socket and I've "modified"
quite a few "polarized" plugs myself. G