Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gordon Henderson

Default For the ip gurus How to get ip address if you only have the macaddress

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

Have had a look in Google, but whilst there's plenty of people asking
the question, no one seems to have come up with an answer :=((

I see its sorted now, but another option that often works is to hook it
up to a network and run a SNMP client. That will often get you
information you can't readily get at the IP level.

But you need an IP address to poke SNMP commands to it...

One way which wouldn't have worked for the OP is a Unix utility called
arping. It pings via MAC address. That combined with tcpdump to see whats
going over the wires (and comimg back!) has worked for me in the past.

Gordon