Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony

Default Garage door opener question

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
m...
Mike Dobony wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
Mike Dobony wrote:

And how many more others do you suggest I contact before
recognizing that a store-bought unit just is not built well enough
for my door? I want something that works BEFORE springtime.

You certainly free to do as you like and you should follow your
own decision not mine. I am only saying that to me, the more
logical plan would be to find out what the problem is before trying
to solve it by throwing new expensive openers at it when it would
appear it is not an opener problem.

Even the cheap openers are not known for the kind of problem you
are having when properly installed on a properly functioning door.
I really think you are missing something and I hope to save you some
money. It might even be something with the power supply, maybe as
simple as a floating neutral.

Ok, what would cause a floating neitral only in cold weather? I have
had several professionals out to check the door and the onliy comment
they ever make is that it is a heavy door. The door operates
smoothly and stays open at the 4-5 foot mark, as directed by all the
recommendations. Fresh lubrication improves the situation, but only
for a few days and only on a few openings. I have tried several
types of lubricants, motor oil, gear lube, several spray lubes, etc.
Each time I use brake cleaner to clean off the old oil and dirt. The
only other option I have is to have a new, lighter door installed.
The opener is much cheaper and the installer can deal with any
problems. I have already spend several hundred $$$$$ on openers.
The existing door already has the largest spring available for
residential doors. The

I wonder how balanced it is throughout the entire movement range?

Hard
to tell from here. I might ask if you have only use the el-cheep-o ¼ HP
openers?

All 1/2 hp units.

You can get more powerful consumer grade openers.

3/4 hp, but it still comes with a stupid chain/cable combo. I want a full
chain or the Chaimberlain lifetime belt.

How much does
that door weigh? Why is it so heavy?

Heavy duty aluminum skin inside and out and insulated. It is a standard
7x16 door from a garage door company, not el-cheapo from the home
improvement center.

I suspect that the problem may be alignment of the opener and the

door.
But it is difficult to tell from here.

When the pros came over they never said anything about the opener.

.... I seem to remember something . You mentioned you had used an
IDrive unit. Have all the failed units been IDrive units?

Chain/cable combo, screw drive, and then the Idrive. Forget what the 4th
was somewhere in the middle. I have been having problems for 15 years. The
Idrive is only a few years old.

If so I would
suggest that it might be something with that specific model or design and
your heavy door. Do they specify a max door weight? Is your door under
that weight. Remember that in many areas wood doors are heavier in the
winter do to picking up moisture.

My father had a full wood double door and had either a 1/4 or 1/3 hp opener
built around the 60's and it never failed other than needing a new
belt-drive (from motor to gear box) and a few new remotes. That was an
EXTREMELY heavy door. When I was 5 I could open it manually. The spring is
supposed to do all the work and negates the weight of the door. That is
what it is designed to do. A 1/4 hp opener SHOULD be able to open any
properly setup door.

I do wish you the best of luck and I hope that if you replace
the opener again, that it works for you.

If it doesn't it will be the installer's problem this time.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

--