Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

Default For the ip gurus How to get ip address if you only have the mac address

In message .com,
writes

Christian McArdle wrote:
We have a couple of D-Link print servers. We can determine the mac
address from the label on the underside, but we think thet we must have
given them fixed ip addresses (back in the mists of time).

Try arp -a if you're lucky.

Christian.

Should have said, tried arp -a

It returned some interesting looking stuff on my machine on the live
network, so I tried it on the mini network (1 hub, 1PC, 1 Print
Server).

It returned nothing. But then there is no dns server etc, etc running
on the PC at present.

My collegue was going to try running it on one of the servers (Server
2003) to see if that would yeild the info.

With regard to the suggestion from another poster to try and print to
it, that would require us to know it's ip address or hostname :=((

For the record you can't reset it to factory defaults without
connecting to it either :-((

Over an RS232 port ...

I have the program somewhere I think

I changed to a Netgear router at work today - streets ahead of D-Link

--
geoff