Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Default Uhhh, horrible flourescent lighting

Battleax said:

My opinion of fluorescent lighting: Can't stand it. Especially in my shop
where it makes my wood look pale. When I'm knee-deep in a project and
there's wood and shavings all over, fluorescent makes it look messy where
incandescent gives everything a nice glow.
I know the advantages of fluorescent but just not willing to put up with the
dull mood it creates.

There are many color spectrums available in fluorescent bulbs.
Tri-spectrum and broadband bulbs eliminate much of that washed out
effect you get from cheap "shop lights". Which is why everyone from
art departments to operating rooms to your local butcher uses them.
And if you buy them from a commerical lighting supplier (not Grainer
or the Borg), they are not expensive.

But to each his own... g

On a related note
A client of mine just installed power-saver bulbs in his basement. I went
down there and turned on the switch. I could see the bulbs came on but none
of the light actually reached the floor, heh.

ES bulbs are NOT the same as real T-12's or T-8's - they're mostly a
bad joke - a knee jerk reaction to increased energy costs in the 80's.

Lumens per watt are greatly increased over incandescent.

FWIW,

Greg G.