Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

Default For the ip gurus How to get ip address if you only have the mac address

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:18:34 UTC, wrote:

Here's the scenario.....

We have a couple of D-Link print servers. We can determine the mac
address from the label on the underside, but we think thet we must have
given them fixed ip addresses (back in the mists of time).

Is there a utility we can run (windows or DOS i'm afraid) that will
return an ip address and or hostname given a mac address?

We've tried looking in DHCP, but there is no record (which is what
leads us to suspect it's got a fixed ip).

We've tried looking in DNS, but can't find it there either).

I'm assuming that these have been offline for a while, so the addresses
won't appear in any ARP cache.

I also assume that the addresses are going to be (probably) in the
192.168.x.x range.

Write a script that pings every address in that range. At one go per
second (run two or three scripts on subranges) you'll get through the
lot in a day.

Have another script doing arp -a every five minutes, appending the
results to a file.

Scan that file for the MAC address....

Alternatively, ask D-link how to restore factory settings!

Avenue Supplies,
http://avenuesupplies.co.uk