Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Electrical : 3 way -- Single Pole (Light Switch)

AC wrote:
I've replaced some old switches. However, after replacing one switch
for the basement staircase (originally 3 way switch with common
written on the back) ... I replaced it with a new single pole switch.

- 3 wires originally (2 on top) (1 on bottom)
- now the switch has become a master

How do I fix this problem ? Do I need to go out and buy a 3 way
switch ? Or can I can I somehow rewire the single pole to accomodate
the old 3 way switch ?

Thanks in Advance,
AC

If you want both switches to work as three way switches you need two
three way switches.

If you only want one switch to control the lights, that is possible and
you don't need any three way switches, but you will need to do some
re-wiring. Since how to re-wire depends on how they are not wired, I can't
offer directions and I strongly suggest you don't try to guess.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit