Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

Default Electrical : 3 way -- Single Pole (Light Switch)

In article .com, "AC" wrote:
I've replaced some old switches. However, after replacing one switch
for the basement staircase (originally 3 way switch with common written
on the back) ... I replaced it with a new single pole switch.

Why?

- 3 wires originally (2 on top) (1 on bottom)
- now the switch has become a master

Entirely predicable. If you can't figure out why, you have no business doing
your own wiring.

How do I fix this problem ?

By putting the right switch in. Duh.

Do I need to go out and buy a 3 way switch ?

Yes. Duh.

Or can I can I somehow rewire the single pole to accomodate the old
3 way switch ?

That is *obviously* impossible. Think about it. If it were possible to rewire
a single pole switch to perform the same function as a 3-way switch... what
would be the purpose in having 3-way switches?

--
Regards,