Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
LRod

Default A funny story

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:49:58 +0000, Alun
wrote:

I've no idea what finish I applied at the
time, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't food safe

This is rapidly taking over as the biggest urban myth in woodworking
(next to exploding dust collection systems).

Virtually any finish except lead paint is "food safe" once it's cured.
In fact, there may not even be any finishes that can make the claim
"food safe" due to the exceedingly difficult FDA standards it would
have to meet. But that a company elects not to incur the expense of
testing and certification just to be able to make the claim doesn't
mean that the finish isn't "food safe."

Don't take my word for it. Look it up. The three major finishing
experts, Dresdner, Jewitt, and Flexner, all pretty much say the same
thing: once a finish is fully cured you have little to fear from it.

See the article "Which Finishes are Food Safe?" in the April, 1998,
Fine Woodworking.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net