Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default A funny story

For the Jewish new year, I made my family some custom honey dippers
(cut me some slack, I'm just starting with this turning thing). It was
a really nice present - especially when everyone understood I made them
myself...
Anyway, one of the recipients was my wife's mother, which of course put
it to good use during the holiday (one of the rituals is to dip the
bread in honey as a blessing for a sweet new year). After wards of
course, she had to wash it....
Now, she doesn't own a dish-washer, however, her dishwashing is a
rigouros test for wooden objects - she scrubs like there is no tommorow
- and uses some serious soap. Every finish I did got washed off,
including some serious raising of grain.

As for food safe finish, I used Olive Oil to finish the dippers, I like
simple, and this is also food safe. So a little sanding (off lathe) and
another helping of Oil did it, until the next time.