Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Default OT - Spanking...Should You or Shouldn't You?

In article 7fIgf.351064$084.30926@attbi_s22,
says...

I find generalizations such as "children whose parents are violent to
them behave better" to be not grounded in any facts and is rather
supported by wishful thinking.

There is a lot of intelligence in your post (including the part I snipped).

However, it appears as if you think spanking and violence are synonyms. They
are not.

Terminology is quite slippery on this subject.

Apparantly, the study cited in the first post of this
thread, relied upon asking parents to describe what
they had done to their children.

Also, people generally discussing this subject have
rose-coloured glasses on regarding either their own
actions, or the actions of others.

When I was growing up, my family used the term,
"spanking" to describe behaviour like beating a child
unconscious, for fun.

OTOH, I have encountered people who interpret
legitimate reference to "abuse" as merely indicating a
little hand-swat on the bum, when the child had
misbehaved. ("You're so immature for failing to feel
gratitude...")

As long as "spanking" isn't really violence (in your
mind), then it is reasonable for an employer who is
feeling stressed-out, to pull the nearest employee's
pants down, apply a belt until the little brat is
barely even capable of crawling away. After all, that
is a "spanking," in my experience, and thus isn't
really "violence," in your mind. So nothing bad
happening at all. A perfectly legitimate way for an
authoriTAH figure to remind everyone who's boss.

Wanna volunteer for some "not"-violence?

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/