Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

Default For the ip gurus How to get ip address if you only have the mac address

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the scenario.....

We have a couple of D-Link print servers. We can determine the mac
address from the label on the underside, but we think thet we must have
given them fixed ip addresses (back in the mists of time).

Is there a utility we can run (windows or DOS i'm afraid) that will
return an ip address and or hostname given a mac address?

We've tried looking in DHCP, but there is no record (which is what
leads us to suspect it's got a fixed ip).

We've tried looking in DNS, but can't find it there either).

Have had a look in Google, but whilst there's plenty of people asking
the question, no one seems to have come up with an answer :=((

Any ideas?

I know the problem is solved but I use a couple of tools from www.radmin.com

IPscan and lan scanner usually do the trick, it will scan an address range
on a network and
report back what addresses are in use, very handy

Paul