Posted to uk.d-i-y
Spike

Default For the ip gurus How to get ip address if you only have the mac address

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

Lots of good stuff which i'm sure will come in handy. In the meantime,
i've cracked it!

First thing was 4 little letters.... rtfm

Where I found the long forgotten 3 little letters ipx

Thr D-Link admin software uses this to talk to the print server. It
still didn't want to work on the XP machine (though we can probably
troubleshoot this later for future use). But enabling ipx on the 98
box made it find the print server.

Turned out it had an ip address so alien to our present network setup
it's no wonder it didn't show up anywheres.

Memo to self - before storing things like this away, give them a
factory reset!

Thanks to all for your replies.

http://www.youngzsoft.net/cc-get-mac-address.htm would have solved your
problem in ten seconds flat.