Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

Default For the ip gurus How to get ip address if you only have the mac address

In article .com,
says...

Christian McArdle wrote:
For the record you can't reset it to factory defaults without
connecting to it either :-((

There's usually a reset button on it that sets it to 192.168.0.1. Put it on
your mini network. Set your computer to 192.168.0.100. Then attempt to
telnet or web 192.168.0.1.

No, that's what I meant when I said you have to connect to it. I've
even had one apart before to look for jumpers to short orwhatever, but
to no avail.

I did have a brilliant idea however.

Run the D-Link supplied CD (amazingly it still read after spending 5
years on my desk as a coffee cup holder :=(( ) But that won't find it
either! BAH!

This has long since gone into the realms of having cost too much in man
(sorry Mary) person hours, but it's gotten me mad now!

latest is my cow-orker is going to try the same procedure but with a
bog standard ancient 98 machine in case it's some firewall software or
something that's getting in the way.

You could try brute force using a port scanner like
http://ipscan.sourceforge.net/ipscan.exe

Set the PC IP address to 192.168.0.1, netmask 255.255.0.0, and scan the
range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.255.254. It will take a while, but if the
server is responding to pings you will get a reply eventually. If the
server is using a 10.0.0.0 address it might take considerably longer ...