Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default CH Questions

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:38:28 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave
Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

They are useless for showers,

How good the shower is depends on the flow - not just pressure.

Indeed. A 22mm connection from a shower boss on the cylinder and a
22mm connection from the cold tank (over two floors higher than the
shower) gives rather more in the way of a satisfying shower than the
relative dribble from a combination boiler. No need for the
complication of a shower pump either.

But you need a tall building and that over two floors is about 1 bar which
is what a power shower pump may deliver. And this 22mm pipe will require a
large cylinder which cost a lot to heat and a large water bills too. I have
never come across dribbles from combi boilers, electric showers, yes, not
combis. People want the pressure of a shower, not the flow so much.

Perhaps you'd be surprised to
know that lids are available and should be
used.

Must be used in fact. There are certainly
no rodents (or birds) in any of the cold tanks
that I keep an eye on for various members of
the family.

Many leave them off and filth enters. Also any crud in the water accumulates
in the tank. They should be drained periodically and cleaned out with
special disinfectant.

You can't drink the water from a tank, you can drink all the water, hot and
cold, from an instantly heated system: thermal store, heat bank, combi.

Using the hot water of mains pressure systems when filling kettles reduces
expensive electricity consumption.