Simon Avery

Default Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall

"Owain" wrote:

Hello Owain

O| If the last working copper pair in the bundle goes, they'll
O| probably DACS your line onto a neighbours. This will limit
O| you (and them) to 33.6 modem speed, which ironically might
O| be a better connection.

Nah. I still have a DACS unit in the loft from their first attempt,
since then they had no spare pairs at all. (And it throttles at
28.8kbps, unable to connect at 33.6 - same at a previous house when I
had it) That was replaced by HH, which provides two lines over one
pair.

What I /think/ they're doing is swapping my pair with my neighbours
(who are all PSTN) so they get the crap ones but don't notice, and I
get the best pair for my HH. Either that or there's some very odd
wiring gone on. (3km from village concentrator, last half has been
recabled this year, only me and my two neighbours on the last km)

Still, I'm providing a service to them. Lots of their engineers are
experiencing a lovely little valley they'd otherwise never get to see.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/