Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony

Default Garage door opener question

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
Mike Dobony wrote:

And how many more others do you suggest I contact before recognizing
that a store-bought unit just is not built well enough for my door?
I want something that works BEFORE springtime.

You certainly free to do as you like and you should follow your own
decision not mine. I am only saying that to me, the more logical plan

would
be to find out what the problem is before trying to solve it by throwing

new
expensive openers at it when it would appear it is not an opener problem.

Even the cheap openers are not known for the kind of problem you are
having when properly installed on a properly functioning door. I really
think you are missing something and I hope to save you some money. It

might
even be something with the power supply, maybe as simple as a floating
neutral.

Ok, what would cause a floating neitral only in cold weather? I have had
several professionals out to check the door and the onliy comment they ever
make is that it is a heavy door. The door operates smoothly and stays open
at the 4-5 foot mark, as directed by all the recommendations. Fresh
lubrication improves the situation, but only for a few days and only on a
few openings. I have tried several types of lubricants, motor oil, gear
lube, several spray lubes, etc. Each time I use brake cleaner to clean off
the old oil and dirt. The only other option I have is to have a new,
lighter door installed. The opener is much cheaper and the installer can
deal with any problems. I have already spend several hundred $$$$$ on
openers. The existing door already has the largest spring available for
residential doors. The

I do wish you the best of luck and I hope that if you replace the

opener
again, that it works for you.

If it doesn't it will be the installer's problem this time.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit