Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Gas range more efficient than furnace?

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:40:04 -0500, Phil Munro
wrote:

Mike Hartigan wrote:

In article . com,
says...

Electric heat is 100% efficient. Indeed, an incandescent light bulb
is also 100% efficient. Unfortunately, most of the energy is given
off as heat rather than light. But 100% of the energy is converted
into a useable form - heat and light. If you heat your home with
electricity, then the efficiency of your light bulbs is irrelevant.

True. AIUI any light is eventually converted to heat** So one might
as well leave all the lights on and get the benefit of the light
before it turns into heat.

The BIG problem with this is that people will get in the habit of
leaving the lights on and do it even in the summer, when the heat does
us no good, and when for many people, they'll have to pay to run the
AC to remove it.

I would think I can learn to have two sets of habits for winter and
summer -- after all, I remember to dress differently -- and I'm trying
to learn to do that. It's surprisingly hard though.

**we know it doesn't stay light forever because ifit did it, the room
would not get dark when you turned the bulbs off.

Save your money and leave the CF bulbs for the natural gas users!

However, CFLs burn cooler and so the heat stress on a fixture is much
less. They also are supposed to have a much longer life. --Phil

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.