Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default Lamp Socket Question

"Mud" wrote in message
om...
I am replacing an 8" Lamp Harp with a 10" one. To do so, it looks like I
have to remove the light socket from the wiring. My question is:

How do I remove the bottom piece of the socket that pushes into the top
piece of the socket. The directions state to remove the socket shell from
cap by pressing where noted on the shell. Well, I don't see it noted
anywhere and I certainly can't find the place to press in order to enable
pulling the socket shell out.

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Hopefully, you understand what I'm
talking about. For those who may not recognize what a lamp harp is, it's
the whole piece that the lamp shade screws onto. I didn't know that was
what it was called until now.

The OEM stuff may not have the press point labeled. Usually you press near
where the switch comes out of the body. These units are held together by a
bunch of ridges that snap into little grooves. As long as you compress the
upper portion slightly while pulling on it, it will release.

The harp base is usually under the socket base. The socket base usually
connected by a threaded connector which may or may not have a small set
screw locking it to the shaft.

Colbyt