Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
John Husvar

Default OT - Spanking...Should You or Shouldn't You?

In article ,
Ignoramus1487 wrote:

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:05:36 GMT, Jeff McCann wrote:
Chuck Sherwood wrote:
The girl's brother, sister, and mother backed up her story and in the
end she was never charged.

The really sad part is that the mother continued to let it happen.
Why didn't she have the courage to stop the father?

Why wasn't she prosecuted as an accessory to capital sexual assault, or
something similar? She apparently failed to take steps necessary to
protect her daughter from serious harm.

That probably was before laws about child abuse/neglect took present
shape.

There was very little in the way of child abuse/neglect protection when
and where I grew up. Laws existed, but were often laxly enforced.

Hell, when my parents were trying to get a commission-paid trucking
terminal off the ground, I practically raised my sister. We were ten
years apart. My mother could check in several times a day because they
built the first office in the garage beside the house, but my baby
sister was my responsibility between times. (They did make sure I got
some breaks to go out and just be a kid.)

Nowadays, that would be child neglect, I suppose. It didn't hurt me
overmuch and my sister and I are very close ~40 years later. There
wasn't much resentment. We just did what had to be done to get out of
poverty after my dad got hurt and couldn't drive his truck any longer.

Must have worked. After a few years all the back bills were paid, we
owned our own house, and my dad's cars were Cadillacs when Cadillac was
still a respected make.