Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
Dave Lyon

Default OT - Spanking...Should You or Shouldn't You?

No Dave I think his spin on hitting was a bit overboard, don't you?

Yes, I do, but that wasn't really my point. Of course usenet has a way of
filtering out ones intent, but it seemed to me you were attacking him for
his views. It appeared to me that you didn't believe his child was well
behaved (I intentionally didn't use "well adjusted")

You have no idea of my methods, I haven't stated them.

True, I simply made an assumption based on my interpretation of your
reaction.

Answer the question..what in the world is a well adjusted 6 year old
boy. What is he adjusted to?
I raised 3 they were all different. My sister has 5 kids, each is
different.
I what to know what is the standard or means by which you can tell if
a 6 year old is "well adjusted" or is heading for prison. Just where
do you get one of those yardsticks to measure how adjusted your kid
is. Do they give you one at Barns and Noble when you buy a "How to
Raise A Well Adjusted Child" Book.

Sorry, I guess I can't answer that question. I can however give examples of
behavior that is unacceptable to me. It's quite possible that his yardstick
for "well adjusted" is different than mine, or yours.

Parents with perfect well adjusted kids drive school
administrators nuts. Their kids are all innocent and its always the
other kids fault.

I've met plenty of parents like that. Their yardstick is obviously different
than mine.

I have great kids, why? Their mine and I love them. Their perfect in
my eyes, their mistakes don't detract from their image.

I have great kids too, but they're not perfect even to me.

Was I a good parent? What I consider to be the acid test, as teens and
adults they come to me for advise when they have problems. They know I
won't judge them with a label or standard like "well adjusted".

Well, Dave, you still don't know what my methods are. But maybe you
know what I think about pigeon hole labels like"well adjusted". Or
parents who apply them in an attempt to spin an argument to say that
their method is perfect and anything less is abuse and will result in
a child who is less then "well adjusted". That also applies to the
other side of the argument. The notion that you can't raise a great
kid without spanking them is BS too

I think we agree for the most part. It just seems like you are a little
caught up on the term "well adjusted". I read that phrase as "my child acts
appropriately for his age and the situation". Perhaps my interpretation is
wrong.

PS Dave,
Unless you are going to apply your "over the top" standard to all
involved, just shut up. I'm a baby booming Spock child, I was never
spanked and was always told how great and well adjusted I was, as such
I have never experienced any real limits to my behavior. I impose my
own limits.

I'm simply stating my opinion. Others are welcome to their opinion, even if
they're wrong.

BTW, I think Spock is an idiot. What's your opinion? Do you feal like your
parents did a good job, or do you wish they had done something different?

I think Ken owes Swingman an apology for his over the top spin. That's
what any "well adjusted" child would do. He can ask his 6 year old
for advise!
Whoops, there I go again, over the top.

True, Ken was trying to spin his post, doesn't everybody?

Peace to you Dave:-]

Right back at ya.